ETA Visa Subclass 601 FAQ
1) What is an Electronic Travel Authority?
Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) Australia is a kind of visa authority that gives permission to the citizens of few countries to travel to Australia for a certain period of times and for certain purposes. Therefore, visa provided by the Electronic Travel Authority of Australia is subject to the nationality, purpose of the trip and lengths of stay in Australia.
2) What is the ETA visa for Australia?
ETA Australia visa is a kind of visa that gives permission to the citizens of few countries to travel to Australia for a certain period of times and for certain purpose. You can get ETA visa either for tourism or for business activities only.
ETA visa is electronically linked to the passport and doesn’t need to be stamped or put a level on it. Therefore, the visa information is accessible to the travel agents, airlines and Australian Border Agencies. While travelling to Australia, it is imperative to bring the same passport that has been used at the time of ETA visa application.
Citizens who hold a valid passport of the following countries are eligible for ETA visa. ETA eligible countries are: USA, Canada, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, Republic of Korea and Brunei Darussalam can apply for ETA visa for Australia.
ETA visa is electronically linked to the passport and doesn’t need to be stamped or put a level on it. Therefore, the visa information is accessible to the travel agents, airlines and Australian Boarder Agencies. While travelling to Australia, it is imperative to bring the same passport that has been used at the time of ETA visa application.
ETA visa is perfect for business professionals or tourists who wish to stay in Australia for a short period of time or need travelling to Australia frequently for holiday or for business activities.
ETA visa validity is for 12 months with multiple entry. However, on each visit you can only stay in Australia for a maximum period of 3 months.
3) What do I need to make an application?
To apply for ETA visa Australia you must have a valid passport of any of the eligible countries, a valid email id and a valid Credit Card or a Debit Card. Non-citizen Passport and travel documents is not accepted as a replacement of passport. Green card holders are also not eligible to apply for ETA visa.
4) What is the pre-requirement for Australia ETA visa?
There are some pre-requirements to apply for an Australia ETA Visa for Tourism and /or Business.
Applicant must meets certain requirements below before applying:
- At the time of your application you must be located outside of Australia
- You must be from ETA eligible countries. Full list of eligible countries are here
- You must be in good health and free from tuberculosis
- You must disclose if you have any criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced for total period of 12 months or more, even though it hasn’t been served yet
- Your current passport must be valid at least for 6 months at the time of your application
- You must provide the details that are exactly the same as appeared on your passport.
5) How do I apply for Australia ETA Visa online?
6) How long can I stay In Australia?
The ETA will allow you to stay in Australia for a maximum of three months on each visit. However, you will receive a visa approval for total period of 12 months and can travel as many times as you want until your visa has expired.
7) I am planning a holiday for more than three months in Australia. What should I do?
You will need to apply for a visa which allows for a longer stay.
8) What can I do if I am not eligible to apply through this site?
If you are not able to apply for an ETA online using this website, you might be eligible to apply for other types of visitor visa directly with an Australian consulate at your location.
9) Do age restrictions apply?
No age restriction apply. Eligible passport holders of all ages can apply for an Australia ETA Visa.
10) Can I include my children in the same online Australia ETA Visa application?
If you apply for ETA visa online through this website, you can add all your family members or group under one reference and doesn’t require any pre-registration or separate application. To do so, please select “multiple applications” option. It is that simple, easy and hassle free.
11) How long will my Australia ETA Visa take to process?
Visas are typically processed by our professional team within 24 hours. However, there are some exceptions. You may choose various options given that starts from 15 minutes to 24 hours depending on your circumstances.
12) What can I do if I make a mistake in my application?
It is important to provide true and correct information while applying for Australia ETA visa. Therefore, we allow you to preview & modify your application information before it’s’ submission. It helps you to complete the application with zero mistake.
Note: If your Australia ETA Visa information do not match with your passport you might experience delays when boarding your aircraft or your entry into Australia might be refused by Australian Boarder Protection Authority.
13) What happens when my applications is not approved?
If your application is not approved you should finalise your application through the nearest Australian visa office.
14) My application for an Australia ETA Visa was unsuccessful, can I get my application fee back?
We are not in a position to take any responsibility as to why your application has not been approved by Electronic Travel Authority of Australia. We are the online service provider helping our clients to process ETA visa application. However, the final decision depends on Australian Immigration and Boarder Protection Authority. As such, no refund is applicable.
15) Why do I need to indicate if I have had another name?
While applying for an ETA it is mandatory that your name and other information match as it appeared in your passport.
If you provide a different name on your Australia ETA Visa application to that on your passport, knowing that you have an alias or another spelling of your name will help immigration officials check that you do have a valid visa.
16) Why do I need to indicate that I have a Criminal Conviction?
It is a pre-requirement for applying for an ETA that you must provide true and correct information about yourself. As such, if you have a criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced to a term of 12 months or more collectively, you must disclose that. You might also be eligible to apply for another type of visitor visa.
If you are found to be in breach of any condition, your visa can be cancelled in immigration clearance and you will not be allowed to enter into Australia.
17) What conditions apply to my Australia ETA Visa?
The following conditions apply to your ETA visa:
- Purpose of travel must be limited to tourism or business visitor activities only
- ETA visa is Valid for multiple visits within 12 months from the date of issue
- Maximum length of each visit is three months only
- Condition 8115 – Paid work is not permitted on ETA visa. However, you may undertake business visitor activities such as, making business enquirers, contractual negotiations and attending conferences etc.
- Condition 8201 – You must not study for more than three months in Australia
- Condition 8527 – You must be in good health and free from tuberculosis
- Condition 8528 – You must disclose any criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced for a total collective period of 12 months or more, even though it hasn’t been served yet.
Important: It is important that you must leave Australia before your authorised stay period expires. If you do not, you might put yourself at risk to be detained and/or removed from Australia. Overstaying might also affect your ability to be granted another Australian visa in the future, including an ETA. However, if it is necessary for you to stay in Australia for more than three months while you are on an ETA visa, you must obtain another visa type before your three months stay period has expired.
18) I am an Australian citizen with citizenship with other countries as well. Do I need Australia ETA Visa to visit Australia?
Australian citizens have an automatic right of entry into Australia and, therefore, do not require any visa.
19) Why am I not receiving the email confirmation?
Once your Australia ETA visa is approved, you will receive an email confirmation from Electronic Travel Authority of Australia with a visa grant number. To make sure you are not missing any email, please ensure:
- Your email is still valid
- Your email storage capacity is not full
- You check your email SPAM folder regularly if your visa confirmation email has incorrectly identified as spam.